Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Introductions: Hi Everyone!

As I'm quite aware of the importance of first impressions not only for others but for oneself, I've been sitting in front of the computer for hours, blank-faced, thinking of what exactly to write here for my first blog post. I've had Livejournals and the like before, yes, but I'm hoping that this blog will end up a bit more focused and quite a bit less... whiny, I guess? Here goes.

My name is Alex. I'm a film student at Bard College entering my senior year in August. It's only natural that this blog reflect, in some part, what I find important and what I love. I find film and film criticism important. I love good beer, death metal, synthpop and surfing Youtube. I find reading, music, and philosophy important. Truth be told, I pretty much love all forms of criticism and all forms of thinking about stuff. I'm hoping to integrate all of that (and more!!!) into this blog.

My username and blog name are derived from the scene at about 1:25 and 3:20 in the following clip which I originally witnessed on Mystery Science Theater 3000 (another love of mine, albeit one that has become more and more complicated as the years go by. I'm sure I'll write more about that in the future). I was inspired to swap out the "C" and the "K" for a Q from the "FreQs" of the Playstation 2 games Frequency and Amplitude and because I thought it was a good way to be different. I feel that's at least partly helpful in understanding something about me.



"There are no absolute errors in criticism. Truth in criticism is defined somehow by the excitement it provides the reader: its quality and amplitude. The function of criticism is not to carry on a silver platter a truth which never did exist, but to prolong as much as possible in the intelligence and sensibility of those who read it the original shock of the work of art" -André Bazin (1918-1958)

I think this quote is as good an introduction to what I'm hoping to accomplish with this blog as any (and I'm sure I'll be quoting Bazin a lot here since I love him so damn much). This is my place to share what I like, what I don't and, what I hope for most of all, what it is that makes me like what I like and don't what I don't. And hey, if anyone actually cares to read what I write that's great too.

I also apologize for the plain, boring layout of the blog right now. I promise I'll get around to making it fucking awesome at some point.

No comments: